Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Alcohol Laws

Laws regarding alcohol don't seem to be very logical. Let's forget the whole "You must be 21 to drink" issue since that's an entirely different rant. I'm just talking about the random restrictions on drinking that are in place that are not related to being of "legal" age.

For example, we went out to dinner a few weeks ago and I stopped by the bar while waiting for a table. My seven year old followed and sat at a barstool at the bar. The restaurant manager told us that he needed to leave the bar according to North Carolina ABC rules. But it was fine for us to just move two feet away from the bar to a table that was still in the bar area. This is apparently perfectly fine. This makes absolutely no sense. What logical argument can you make to tell me that he can't sit at the bar, but can sit at a table only feet from the bar. And, once I get to the table in the dining area I am free to order as much beer or wine as I please and drink with the kids at the table.

And why can't I buy beer on Sundays before noon, or on election days? What idiot made these rules. If there are two times that drinking would be beneficial, it would be at church and while forcing yourself to vote for the crooks and liars on every ballot.

I need a beer now.

No comments: